Monday 12 January 2015

First Post: The Reboot. A California Summer, Part 1: Venice, Los Angeles.

Okay, so technically I started this blog over a year and a half ago. It's fair to say I didn't commit to it. So, I'm taking this new year as an opportunity to reboot my blog and start writing/posting regularly.
Since we're on the more boring side of January 1st and the excitement of Christmas and New Year has faded away, I will spend this post wishing it was warm again and looking back on summer 2014.
Consider this my first post, take 2.


Last summer I spent 3 weeks in America, the majority of the time was spent in various places in California (plus 5 days in Washington D.C. at the beginning). Due to the amount of places I visited and the masses of photos I collected along the way, I've decided to create a 5-part series documenting my time there.
So, here goes Part 1: Venice.


Venice is a neighbourhood in West Los Angeles known for its quirks and arty shops and cafes. It's an absolute gem for slightly upscale vintage shopping and independent boutiques, plus the beach front is filled with buskers, street artists and performers. If you have that stereotypical image of '80s LA with people in tiny runner shorts rollerskating along the boardwalk, then Venice is where you'll find it (yes, people still actually do that).



                                                                                                                                                              
Venice Beach is the perfect picture of a Californian palm tree-lined beach and a great escape from the pollution of central Los Angeles. If you're looking to get away from the busy streets and tourists, however, then Venice Beach is definitely not the place to do so. If you're looking for a fun day out with a million and one things to see and do, then it's 100% worth a go.


Away from the beach, Venice is a really pretty neighbourhood with surfer shacks, colourful pastel houses and plenty of street art. It would be my number 1 choice if I were ever to move to Los Angeles.


Naturally, anywhere you go in California any time of the year is going to be boiling, never mind during summer. Clearly, I have a problem letting go of wearing all black outfits which probably wasn't the best decision. I've got daisies on so that's fairly summery?




I've also put together a little playlist of songs that were played a lot on the radio during my time in Cali or songs that remind me of being back there; aptly called "California".



There are 5 songs to go with each of the 5 posts.
You can take a little listen and follow me on Spotify at the end of the post.








Top: Pacsun/Shorts: Forever 21, similar here/Shoes: Vagabond, similar here/Bag: Steve Madden/Sunglasses: Marc by Marc Jacobs

So that concludes my first post on Exes and Owes 2.0, look out for Part 2 next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment